So, you’re that type of dog-mum… you think you can do it all?
Well you definitely can! And we are here to teach you how.
Making your own bone broth is a great idea and we are here to help you along the way.
Firstly, what do you need to concoct said liquid gold…(Note: we are using chicken feet this time - but any bone is perfect!)
- 500g of chicken feet
- 4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Water to cover
Sounds simple enough right? So, once you have your chicken feet (Available in store) we can get simmering!
- Add chicken feet to a slow cooker or pot on the stove
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pour in enough water to just cover chicken feet
- Cook on HIGH for 1 hour then LOW for 23 hours.
- Strain broth and throw away chicken feet.
Note: Discard chicken feet, unless making into a paste.
- Let the broth cool and then place it in the fridge to set.
- After a few hours it should form a hard layer on top, scrape this off and throw it away. Underneath should be a brown jelly!
- Add a few tablespoons to your pets meal.
Your broth will keep for up to one week in the fridge. If you know you won’t get through it all in a week, pop it into ice cube trays and freeze!
Now, what’s left to do? Well, head on down to your local Pet Mince Direct store, grab some chicken feet or bones (we have designated bones for making broth - just ask our friendly team!) and get cooking. Remember you can still jump on board the bone broth train without the elbow grease and grab our pre-made bone broth in-store!
Got a fur princess who doesn’t like getting their paws wet on the grass?
We don’t want our fur-friends getting bored now do we?
We’ve put together our top 4 ways to help make sure your mate is still having a fur-tastic time!
Ever heard of Lick Mats? No.. we don’t expect them to go wild over licking the door mat. We stock Lick Mats that are designed to have peanut butter, mince or their favourite DIY treat spread onto them, it keeps our pets entertained for hours!
Now this next one is a two-for-one deal. Raw bones! Or as we like to call it, a dental spa day. Give them a raw bone to go to town on - keeping them occupied and giving their fangs a good clean! What more could a doggo ask for?
Do you have a clever pet? No but really, not just the old sit and shake routine. Really put them to the test by getting them an interactive puzzle toy. Fill it with their favourite treats & they will be kitten. Sorry, we mean smitten*...
Now, if you are home with your best mate, now is the perfect time to teach them a new trick. We’re not talking houdini style, but having your pets wanting to be inside gives you the chance to focus their attention on learning.
We hope this has helped to give you some ideas on keeping your fur-pals busy during the cooler months!
What’s all the hype about?
Before we get into the bone-fits (last time we promise!) of Bone Broth, let’s dig into what it actually is.
Bone broth is a flavoursome and nutrient-rich liquid that can work wonders for your furry friend's health. This liquid gold is an abundance of minerals and vitamins we get from simmering meaty joints and bones in water (or take the easy option of our pre-made bone broth in-store!)
Let’s get into the nitty gritty of why your pooch will love you for it:
- Promotes joint health: The gelatin and collagen found in bone broth can help support your dog's joint health and mobility. Perfect for active pups or those experiencing stiffness.
- Boosts the immune system: Bone broth contains essential minerals and amino acids that can help strengthen your dog's immune system. A healthy immune system means a happy and active pooch!
- Aids digestion: Is your dog struggling with an upset tummy? Bone broth can be soothing and gentle on their digestive system. It can even help with diarrhoea or other digestive issues.
- Hydration in a bowl: If your dog isn't a fan of plain water, bone broth can be a fantastic way to keep them hydrated. It's especially useful during hot summer months or when your pup isn't feeling well.
- Supports healthy skin and coat: The nutrients in bone broth, such as collagen, can contribute to a shiny coat and healthy skin. Say goodbye to dry, itchy skin and hello to a glossy, happy pup!
- Provides a tasty treat: Let's not forget that bone broth is simply delicious for dogs! They'll lap it up and savour every drop, making it a wonderful addition to their mealtime routine.