Slippery Elm For Dogs
Slippery elm powder is made from the dried, ground inner bark of the Slippery Elm Tree (Ulmus rubra.) It can be used to increase your daily fibre intake and may have a soothing effect on the digestive system. Slippery elm powder is said to provide relief from constipation, diarrhoea and other symptoms of an irritated digestive tract such as bloating.
Slippery Elm medicinal properties include:
- Demulcent – Slippery elm secretes a gooey substance called mucilage. Mucilage creates a protective film to relieve mucous membrane irritation.
- Laxative – This herb acts as a mild laxative to help with bowel movements.
- Emollient – Slippery elm helps to soften and soothe skin.
- Astringent – It can dry and tighten skin cells and tissue.
- Nutritive – Slippery elm helps to nourish the body. It’s packed with nutrients like vitamins A, B complex, C, K, calcium, magnesium and sodium.
- Anti-inflammatory – Slippery elm helps to reduce redness, swelling and pain.
Slippery Elm for Diarrhoea and Constipation:
Slippery elm is helpful for acute cases of diarrhoea.
It helps soothe the mucous membranes in the digestive tract and ease inflammation. The oily mucilage it produces helps lubricate the digestive tract and promotes mucous secretion.
As an added benefit, it contains fiber; fiber feeds the beneficial bacteria in your dog’s gut. This means slippery elm is a prebiotic that supports normal gut function by feeding good bacteria.
Like many fibrous plants, its main role is to regulate the digestive tract.
And that means it can help relieve and even prevent constipation too. That’s because of slippery elm’s soothing and laxative properties.
When your dog’s constipated, his muscles have to work extra hard. Slippery elm soothes and lubricates the mucous membranes in his digestive tract. This helps to relax the muscles.
Give ¼ tsp of powder for every 5kgs of body weight.
Mix the powder into your dogs wet food.
Don’t give to pregnant dogs.
As always please check with your Vet before giving any new supplements to your dog.
Slippery Elm Powder: Non-GMO. NO added fillers, anti-caking agents, colours, flavours or preservatives.